Sep 11, 2008

Cream Cheese French Toast




Let's get one thing straight: I HATE FRENCH TOAST! I am NOT a huge egg fan to say the least. And the thought of french toast has always just wanted to make me gag! But..... some family friends introduced me to this kind of french toast when we were camping, and I am hooked! I have never had anything like this. My mother-in-law has me make this every time they come in to town, it's now her favorite also!


1 loaf Grandma Sicamore Bread (this bread is best because it is not too think, not too thin)

1 block cream cheese, softened (can use light)


Egg Mixture:

5 large eggs

1/4 c. sugar

1Tbsp. cinnamon

1 whole orange rind, grated fine (optional, but 100 times better with it!!!!)

milk till creamy


Syrup:

1 c. butter (2 sticks)

3/4 c. sugar

1/2 c. butter milk

1 tsp baking soda

1 tsp vanilla


1-In a large bowl mix eggs, sugar, cinnamon, vanilla, orange rind, and milk together. Set aside

2-In a medium saucepan on the stove stir butter, sugar, and butter milk together until you bring it to a boil. (this process is much quicker, if you cut your butter in to small cubes, it will melt faster)

3-Remove your butter sauce mixture from the stove and let cool for about 1-2 min. Add your baking soda, and vanilla. Whisk all ingredients together.

4-Return to LOW heat and keep warm.

5-Take a piece of your bread, and spread a layer of cream cheese, on it. Take another piece and sandwich it together.

6-Take your "sandwich" and coat it lightly in the egg mixture

7-Let your bread lightly brown on both sides

8- Remove from pan, place on plate, and top with a sauce mixture!


*Note: I will caution you that there is a chance when you add your baking soda and vanilla to your sauce mixture, it could foam up, and boil over. This is why it is VERY IMPORTANT to let it cool first, But just to be safe, place your pan in the sink, then add your baking soda and vanilla. BETTER SAFE THAN SORRY! I learned this the hard way (I burned my hand really bad...)

No comments: